Ian Hoar – Passion for Technology – Geeking Out - Technology, Web, Toys, Games, Design, Entertainment, Gadgets, & Geeking Out

Why am I so addicted to the web?

I’m a web addict, but chances are, you the reader are too. Is this necessarily a bad thing? I don’t think so, we are moving towards a world where many of us will be continuously connected to the web throughout the day. This could be at a traditional desk and computer or through some kind of mobile device—the web will always be at our finger tips. Some people might spell out doom and gloom scenarios, but I think they are short sighted and pessimistic. Why is the allure of the web so strong, and is it good?

Keep Reading 

Firefox 3 Launch Party Video

Download Day 2008Still more Firefox 3 Launch Party news. Chris Luckhardt of motionblur studios was filming throughout the entire party which was hosted at the Mozilla Toronto Office. He has put together a YouTube video of some of the highlights and says…

I posed a simple question to the crowd – “What does Firefox mean to you?”.

For people who know me, yes that’s me near the end of the video, I forgot all about it. Great video Chris, thanks for sharing.

Check out my previous posts, Firefox Launch Party photos and Toronto Firefox Launch Party.

Android Android Android!
everyone’s talking about Android

Android

The hype is building and this is both good and bad for Google. When something gets so hyped up it can be hard to meet expectations. People who don’t usually follow techy things are mentioning Android. Let’s face it, everyone loves Google and for a lot of people they have changed the way we use the Internet. For a smaller number of us Google has changed how we do email, how we work with documents and how we stay organized with its plethora of tools and widgets. Google has become the Swiss Army knife for the Internet, so of course we have high hopes for Android.

Keep Reading 

What are Twitt(url)y and Twitturls? Twitter Search Engine too?

twitturlsI have a great WordPress plugin called CyStats. This allows me to see in real time who is visiting or crawling my blog. I recently started posting my blog entries to Twitter and noticed two web crawlers called HTTP://TWITTURLS.COM and TWITTURLY/V0.5. Later a friend sent me a link to Twitturly and that led to finding Twitturls. These sites were the source of the crawlers.

Keep Reading 

Firefox Launch Party photos

Here are some photos of last nights Toronto Firefox Launch Party, thanks to Lee for bringing a camera, the rest of us forgot to bring one!

Keep Reading 

Toronto Firefox Launch Party

Download Day 2008I just got back from the Mozilla Firefox launch party in Toronto and I must say it was way cooler than I thought it would be. Geeks descended from all over Toronto. We got free beer, free tshirts, free food, free desserts and all kinds of free FireFox items. The whole night was really fun and I met a lot of really cool people.

Myself and two of my co-workers showed up a little after 6pm and spent the night hanging out with fellow geeks. I got to ask lots of questions about Mozilla and Firefox. I didn’t even know they had an office in Toronto before tonight. They expected 40 people to show up to the party and got over 120. The computers and large LCD screen had real time stats of the downloads happening in several countries. At one point it was over 5000 firefox downloads per minute. At the time of this writing Asia had still not woken up for Firefox download day and I’m sure it’s well over 3 million downloads at the time of this post. The Mozilla IRC channel was very active too, and I think their were web cams covering the event, because the chat seemed to be talking about us.

I also couldn’t help but think of how great a marketing strategy this and other parties are. You get 140 uber geeks together, give them some food and drinks and then have them all go home and talk about Firefox on their blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc. This is viral marketing at its best.

I hope to have some pictures of the party up soon, but I didn’t have a camera on me. Luckily, a friend of mine did! So I should have some soon. Oh, and if you haven’t downloaded Firefox 3 yet, what are you waiting for?

Firefox Download day is June 17th, mark your calendar

Download Day 2008Download Day 2008 is a really cool viral marketing campaign on the Spread Firefox website. You can see the current stats on the Download Day 2008 website. Total pledges at the time of this posting were 1,243,370. You can also see how many pledges each country has on the world map. The official download day for Firefox 3 is Tuesday June 17th.

The goal is to set a Guinness World Record for most software downloaded in 24 hours. So pledge now and download it on Monday and “Enjoy a Better Web”. Oh, and if you really want to geek out, don’t forget about the Firefox parties all over the world, you can find one on mozillaparty.com.

Apple iPhone, more news than actual interest?

Update June 18th: It looks like the iPhone search volume has completely spiked, surpassing original spikes, but I still think there’s a lot of saturation in the blog sphere. I will do a follow up after the phone is released.

Today I have been playing around with Google Trends and the BlogPulse tools. While trending some of the newest smartphones out there I noticed something odd with the iPhone data. It seems that last week when the new iPhone was announced there was actually a far larger spike in iPhone news than actual interest.

Keep Reading 

Geeks In Training officially launched

Geeks In TrainingA friend of mine has launched his long anticipated Geeks In Training website. It is intended to fill a niche in computer training for, as he says “the not-too-puzzled”. It strives to bring context to many of today’s technology challenges, the when and why you should be using a technology. It is not intended to be a bleeding edge site, nor is it for total beginners, it’s something in between for the every day geek, and a real geek is always in training. It will also help people who have started their training, but wish to take that final plunge into full Geekdom.

Eventually there will be more writers, and I hope to contribute in the near future. With so many technologies merging together we are being bombarded at every level. You may be an expert in one area, but you may need to bridge the gap to another that you are less familiar with, this is where Geeks In Training comes in. I really look forward to watching this site grow as it is still in the early stages of what will soon be something much bigger. I recommend reading the Welcome to Geeks In Training article for a more indepth overview of what the site is all about.

Give me Android, Give me “commitment to openness” – Google gets it!

Android

I’ve been following Google’s Android platform on and off for awhile now, but lately the buzz is starting to pick up. For those not in the know, Android is Google’s new software platform for mobile phones.

Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications.

Keep Reading